Food That Boost Immunity
Now that it is getting cooler outside and the common cold is beginning to spread it is especially important to keep your immune system healthy and ready to fight anything that wants to attack.
Maintaining a healthy immune system means you are helping prevent infections and germs from invading your lymph nodes, cells and organs. A healthy fuctioning immune system also aids in warding off digestive complications, fatigue, allergies, and horrible illnesses such as cancer.
Weather change is not the only issue that can contribute to a weakened immune system. Lack of sleep, emotional stress, the use of too many antibiotics, lack of exercise, overexposure to toxins from the environment as well as a poor diet and hygiene are also contibutors to a weakened immune system.
Luckily, you can help boost your immune system by dedicating yourself to a healthy lifestyle eating habit.
Foods That Boost Your Immune System
- Probiotic Yogart or Kefir - Eating probiotic yogarts daily helps with the development of white blood cells which help decrease the possibility and/or duration of infections.
- Tumeric - I love this stuff! I add it to eggs, chicken, potatoes as well as warm water with cinnamon and honey for a comforting, healthy tea. Tumeric aids in the resistance to infections.
- Garlic - Look here for the very important reasons why garlic should be a staple in your life. Try to eat 2 - 3 raw cloves (either whole or minced on food) a day to receive immunity boosting benefits.
- Green Tea - Green tea is filled with antioxidants to help fight free-radical damage. Aim to drink 3 cups a day. More reasons here to drink this powerful tea!
- Ginger - Ginger is good for blood circulation as well as having the ability to break down toxins gathered in the body. Eat it whole, crushed in food or drink it as a tea at least once a day to help boost your immunity.
- Lemons - Squeeze that lemon over your food or into a cup of warm water for your body to absorb the vitamin C it needs to fight off infections. Want to learn more about the benefits of lemon water? Read this!
- Cranberries - Cranberries are known to have great and powerful antioxidant, antiviral and anticancer properties…need I say more!?
- Mushrooms - Mushrooms are rich in fiber, B vitamins, calcium and vitamin C to name a few, which all help maintain a healthy immune system.
- Raw Broccoli - This is one of the healthiest vegetables for your body because it is loaded with vitamins and minerals that have the power to fight off infection. Cooking broccoli can take away its super powers, so it is best to eat it raw.
- Citrus - This is something you want to eat daily whether you have a cold or not to keep your immune system tip-top. Vitamin C increases white blood cell production which keeps infections at bay.
- Hot Liquid Chicken Soup - The hot liquid from this soup clears nasal passages and kills off bad bacteria.
- Carrots - The beta-carotene in carrots helps support the respiratory and intestinal tract making it more difficult for bad bacteria to enter the bloodstream.
So there you have it! Try out your local Farmers Market or go straight to the produce section of your food store and take this list with you. Try out different recipes or eat them as is. Just make sure to keep a healthy eating habit so you can keep a healthy immune system.
Be Happy, Stay Healthy!